Vice President Postgraduate
I am the sabbatical officer that represents all PGT and PGR students, catering for their needs across activities, welfare and education.
As Vice President Postgraduate, my work covers a range of areas from sitting on committees and focusing on education and ensure PGT and PGR students get the best student experience at Northumbria. I am keen to ensure that postgraduates know that the union is here for them, and making sure their voice is heard, and their ideas are taken forward and actioned wherever possible.
I closely work with PGT and PGR reps to regularly obtain the feedback about the issues and concerns of students related to the education, welfare and activities and ensure that they are escalated appropriately to the relevant support service
Read my blog here
What I've completed
- Organised comprehensive postgraduate Freshers for the academic year 2020-21
- Provided guidance to Advanced Practise students in the aspect of education and helped with their queries around assessments, extensions, results & academic misconducts.
- Trained new Leadership Reps & Program Reps for the year 2020-21
- Homesickness Campaign 2020-21
- Academic Misconduct Campaign 2020-21
- Set up a fortnightly meeting series with PGT, Faculty Lead Reps Education & Advanced Practise Reps to discuss the issues/concerns of PGT students.
- Had meetings with PGR Reps on fortnightly basis to support the PGR students throughout the pandemic
- Worked closely with PGR directors & Graduate school to make sure PGR students are not disadvantaged in any way throughout the pandemic
- Recruited PGR Reps for the academic year 2020-2021 and met them on Fortnightly basis to discuss the issues/concerns of PGR students
- Assessment support sessions to PGT students
- Collected PGT student feedback on PGT on programme journey through focus groups and submitted a summarised feedback report to the university
- Lobbied university to give funded PGR extensions to students who are struggling to finish their work within the deadline
What I'm working on
- Voice issues and concerns of PGR students (with the help of PGR Reps) to the university and support all PGR students in the aspects of education & welfare
- Voice issues and concerns of Advanced Practise (AP) students (with the help of PGT/AP Reps) to the university and support all AP students
- Working with VP Sports (Emma Collier) to involve more PG students in Northumbria Sports
- Working with PGR reps to provide fair teaching opportunities to PGR students across all faculties
- Sitting on university committee meetings (education, employability, pricing, IT, academic board etc…) to make sure the voice of PG students is heard.
- Working on PGT & PGR Rep recruitment/trainings for the next academic year 2021-22
- Organising comprehensive PGR Freshers (Oct 4-11th) for the academic year 2021-22
What I've got coming up
- Academic Misconduct Campaign 2021-22 (Dec 6-12th)
- Homesickness Campaign 2021-22 (Nov 8-14th)
- Tailored library skill sessions to PG Students (focused on academic writing, presentation, referencing, critical thinking etc…)
- Career workshops to PG Students (focused on employability skills & opportunities)
- Mental health trainings/events to PG students