Vice President Activities
Hey, I’m James, your VP Activities. My role is to help students at Northumbria engage with the activities and employability opportunities we have here on campus. Whether you are grabbing a pint in Habita, joining one of our 130+ societies or attending a careers workshop, I want you to feel excited about the social and academic activities we have to offer.
I also take the lead on Freshers Week and make sure new students feel happy, involved, and safe here at Northumbria. I am responsible for making sure that you graduate with the experience and skills you need to enhance your student experience and your future.
I work with staff in the Union and the University to develop events, support research and lobby for ideas that will benefit your experience and make sure we are delivering what you want to see and what will help you during your time at Northumbria.
I am also the campus lead for London Campus, so I will be popping down there very often this year to make sure London students feel more included and get some awesome activities!
Read my blog here
What I'm working on
- Supporting New and Existing Societies to get ready for their return to campus – through Virtual Society Training conferences, signing off new societies and making sure existing ones get their committee’s ready for September.
- Society Engagement Platforms – testing out new ways societies can communicate internally, with their members, with their committee and with activities team, to make student experience the best it can be.
- Freshers Team – assembling a fabulous team of Leaders and Volunteers to get involved in the biggest and best freshers welcome ever! Making sure they have everything they need, and the best training to be their best.
- Student Business Grants – looking at ways to support current and graduating students in their business plans and giving them grants to ensure they can launch their business effectively.
- Society Recognition Scheme REBOOT – Looking at the incentives we offer and the requirements to make the scheme more flexible for you.
- Bazaar Mental Health Programme – Expanding the scope of our successful pilot and working with Anna T to ensure we can reach more students in need.
What I've got coming up
- Habita Quiz & Karaoke – Working with our amazing commercial team to get societies back involved in Monday quiz nights, and brining back Thursday karaoke with some brand new hosts.
- FRESHERS WEEK 2021 – I hope you are as excited as I am. Fingers crossed, this year’s freshers will be EPIC, so I can’t wait to get it going, welcome everyone back on campus and ensure you have the best start to the year possible.
- Monday Mail – New ways to communicate with our society leaders and volunteers.
- London Campus Visit – As London Campus lead, I will be going down to London in October to meet everyone down there and find out how we can support you best!
What I've completed
- Annual Awards 2021 – Helping to decide the winners of the activities based Annual Awards and making sure student volunteers are recognised for their hard work during the pandemic.
- theStudio – Lead by Craig Wilson, your media expert, helped to set up a flexible, attractive streaming space where any student can book to produce video or podcast content. This can be booked and use by all Northumbria students.
- University Podcast – Took part in a University podcast to advertise Northumbria to new and potential students, to attract them to Northumbria and ensure we have a big intake in 2021.
- NUS Lead & Change – Networking with other Activities Officers to give you the best we can, and collaborate with different Universities.
- Trained Society Leaders – Ensured our new society leaders have the best training possible, with more to come throughout the year