What is pack for good?
A partnership between British Heart Foundation, Northumbria Students’ Union and the University to make it easy for students to donate unwanted items at the end of the year. All items go to British Heart Foundation for sale in their shops and profits go to the research and services
Why use pack for good?
- Its easy. Just need a bag – you can use your own or collect a BHF bag from the Students’ Union. There are sites across campus and the city.
- Reputation of students – you may be moving out of Newcastle, but rubbish left by students in bins and on the streets is one of the main causes of complaints by local residents. Helping dispose of your unwanted items properly helps the reputation of students and it is fair for local residents as it reduces pressure on local services such as bin collection which have faced big cuts in recent years as the Council budget is reduced.
- Less landfill – clothes, shoes, electrical items - anything you throw out is going to go straight to landfill. Over the past six years that BHF has run the scheme it has saved over 2,200 tons of unwanted items going into the ground
- Benefits us all – all your unwanted goods will get a home and in doing so that helps British Heart Foundation in their work which in turn helps us all.
What can I donate?
Most things including clothes, shoes, handbags, accessories, books, portable media such as blu-ray, DVDs or games and bric-a-brac.
A few can’t for safety or legal reasons
- Sharp objects including cooking knives
- Soiled or damaged clothing
How do I do it?
You’ll need to have a bag to put your items in.
You can collect large BHF bags from the Students’ Union at City or Coach Lane or any of the University halls of residence or you can use your own plastic ones.
To ensure the items are not damaged or get dirty, please tie each bag so that the contents do not fall out.
Where does the bag go?
Put the items you want to donate in the bag and take it to one of the drop off points;
- The Students’ Union at City or Coach Lane
- CCE2 Design School
- Winn Studios
- Claude Gibb Hall
- Lovaine Flats and Halls
- Glenmara House
- New Bridge Street
- Stephenson Building
- Oxford House
- Trinity Square
- Portland Green
Don’t live in halls? BHF have collection points around the city
- Studley Terrace NE4 5PA
- Wretham Place NE2 1XU
- Napier Street NE2 1XJ
- Hotspur Street NE6 5BH
- Lyndhurst Avenue NE2 3LJ
- Brentwood Avenue NE2 3DH
- Heaton Park Road NE6 5PR
- Library - Sunbury Avenue NE2 3HB
- Civic Centre NE1 8QH
- Jesmond Road - Cradelwell NE2 1LA
- Doncaster Road NE2 1RB
- Chillingham Road NE6 RLL
What if I have something BHF won’t take or it’s too large, like furniture?
- You’ll need to take it to Council point or arrange a bulky item pick up