From 21 January 2019 the Government’s pilot scheme for settled status applications will be open to most students.

There is no need to rush to register and EU citizens will have until at least December 2020 to do so. You will be eligible to apply under it if you are either:

  • an EU national with a valid passport (not identity card), or
  • a non-EU citizen who has a residence card or permanent residence card issued on the basis of an application you made on or after 6 April 2015

The scheme will not be available under this stage of testing to the family members of British citizens who are currently in the UK under EU law provisions.

You will need evidence of your residence in the UK if you choose to apply under this third phase of testing. A permanent residence document meets this requirement and means you will not have to pay for your settlement scheme application.

If you have a National Insurance number, your work records will be automatically accessed as part of the application and will be used to calculate your length of residence. Other evidence of your stay in the UK can include letters from education and healthcare providers - see Home Office information about the EU settlement scheme for examples of evidence and full details of how the application process works. 

You will be granted settled status, or indefinite leave, if you have been in the UK for a period of five years (absences of up to six months in any 12-month period and of 12 months, or longer, in specific circumstances are permitted - see Home Office caseworker guidance for details). If you have been in the UK for under five years, or cannot prove that you have been resident for five years, you will be granted pre-settled status, or limited leave. The application fee in both cases is £65 (£32.50 for applicants under 16 years old) has been waived for applications made after 29th March 2019 and is refundable for applications made before that date. If you are granted limited leave, you will be able to apply free of charge when you meet the five-year period of residence for settled status.

Helpful links

UK Council for International Student Affairs [UKCISA] briefing

UKCISA blogs by Urszula and Marcel who applied recently under the first and second phases of the EU settlement scheme trials respectively. They explain why they applied, how the application process works, and give helpful hints and tips on what to expect and how to prepare for a successful application.

Seraphus Solicitors, linked to Free Movement, also has a very useful list of relevant documents including links to other organisations ('News and updates') and its own presentations on who is eligible under the scheme, how to apply and grounds for refusal ('Seraphus documents').

The Free Movement blog has posted a briefing entitled: How to apply for “settled status” for EU citizens

Updates about the negotiations and the post Brexit position of EU nationals in the UK can be found at