The government’s advice in regard to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the need for social distancing has profound implications for the way the Students’ Union is able to carry out its activities and provide services.
The Union has considered the advice in more detail to reduce non-essential social contact, use of public transport and increasing home working opportunities.
Because of the advice, the Students’ Union have taken the very difficult decision, to close all physical SU activities.
This means that
- The Students’ Union Building at City Site and the Students’ Union Office at Coach Lane will close from 6.00pm on Wednesday 18th March until Monday 20th April.
- All events/training sessions/trips/meetings/volunteering opportunities and any other activity organised by clubs, societies and other student groups is suspended from the 20th March until the 20th April.
- The Food Bank is closed. All remaining stock was packaged into parcels and passed to University Security to support students who self isolate.
- Nightline has been closed for the rest of the term.
- We will no longer be hosting the awards events in term three –Education, Activities, Annual and Student Led Teaching Awards. Nominations will still be collected and we will have alternative ways to celebrate those achievements.
The Students’ Union’s Advice Service will remain operational and contactable throughout the period the Students’ Union building and office is closed if you require academic advice.
You can contact them via https://www.mynsu.co.uk/getsupport/yourcourse/. The only restriction is that we will not be providing a face to face service but will provide telephone one to one where appropriate. The initial contact must be through the webpage and email.
We appreciate that this will be a troubling message for our members to receive and may cause inconvenience, but we want to reassure all students that this decision has been made with the safety of our staff and students in mind.
This communication only relates to Students’ Union activities and the University will keep you updated on all matters relating to learning and teaching and other services on campus through the Student Portal, which you should check regularly.
If you have any general questions about this communication or need to speak to anyone else in the Students’ Union please email firstname.lastname@example.org.